Hey parents, mark your calendars – Target’s incredibly popular car seat trade-in event is returning in mid-September! The spring trade-in event was canceled due to COVID-19, so we are thrilled it’s back and we can finally clean out all those old car seats filling up our garages.
This year, Target has increased safety measures with a no-contact process, and we have all the details for you below.
Bring in your child’s old car seat to any participating Target between Sunday, September 13th and Saturday, September 26th, and trade it in for a 20% off coupon you can use towards a new car seat, stroller, or select baby gear home item. Coupons must be used by Saturday, October 3rd.
HOW THE TRADE-IN EVENT WORKS:
- Bring your used car seat or base to the designated drop-box at any participating Target store anytime between Sunday, September 13th and Saturday, September 26th.
- Target will accept and recycle all types of car seats including infant car seats, convertible seats, car seat bases, harness or booster seats, as well as car seats that are expired or damaged.
- Open your Target App and scan the code on the box to get your coupon. If you need help, Target Guest Services will be available to assist you.
- The coupon can be used either online or in-store through Saturday, October 3. When you’re ready to use the coupon, go to your “Wallet” in the Target App and view the “Extra Offers” section to find the coupon.
- When making your purchase, click the green checkmark by the offer. If shopping in-store, you will scan the coupon at the register.
- The coupon can be used toward a new car seat, car seat base, travel system, stroller, or select baby home gear such as playards, high chairs, swings, rockers, and bouncers. I highly recommend shopping early in the event for the best selection!
- Guests must be enrolled in Target Circle to participate in the trade-in event, and guests will only be able to scan one coupon per Circle account.
- The coupons can NOT be stacked on top of each other, but they can be combined with other item offers.
- Use your REDcard to save an additional 5% and get free shipping on your online purchase (non-cardholders get free shipping on orders of $35+).
- TIP: If you don’t have a car seat to trade-in or you need more than one coupon, you may be able to find a FREE used car seat through Facebook Marketplace or your local Buy Nothing Project group.
So what happens with those old car seats you’re turning in? Target partners with Waste Management, who uses the materials to create new products such as pallets, plastic buckets, and construction materials. So by participating in this program, you not only get to save money but also help the environment!
The Target Car Seat Trade-In Event happens twice a year, every spring and fall. Since the program first launched in April 2016, Target has recycled 14.4 million pounds of car seats!