Deciding on a highchair can be such a stress. Truthfully, my entire registry while pregnant with Mae caused me anxiety. I was one of the first of my friends to have a baby, I had no idea what I was doing, and couldn’t decide where to splurge and where to save. And oh what I’ve learned since then!
For our highchair, we ended up going with the OXO Tot Sprout after months of debating. To be honest, a lot of my decision had to do with the fact that it went well with our decor! I also loved that it would grow with Mae, but because the rooms in our house are small, I ended up switching out for this booster seat (love it!) the moment I was able to so I could save on space. So I guess it didn’t end up mattering too much that I picked a highchair that would grow with her!
To help other mamas who may be having a hard time deciding on baby gear, I’ve decided to start a series sharing my favorite products in a certain category, in a range of prices. Today I’m kicking things off with highchairs. I narrowed my list to only include highchairs with good product reviews, no matter what the price. And of course they’re all simple, modern designs.
Do you have one of these highchairs? Did I leave any out you’d recommend? I’d love to know!
2. phil&teds Poppy // The Poppy is super lightweight, coming in at under 9 pounds! It’s made from a soft aerocore that’s insulating and comfy, it’s even dishwasher safe! It has a generously sized tray that simply wipes clean and can be run through the dishwasher when needed. This highchair can be used with the tray or pulled right up to the table. And once your child’s highchair days are over, you can convert the Poppy to a child’s size chair! (Additional exclusive colors available at Kohl’s.) Retail: $119.99
3. IKEA Antilop // This is one of the most popular highchairs and definitely the best bargain you’re gonna find! It’s no frills, sleek, lightweight, and incredibly easy to clean. It can be used with or without the tray, so can have your child with you at the table (if it fits, it’s not height adjustable). It’s easy to assemble, disassemble and transport. It’s a great option if you need a second highchair at another location, like grandma’s house. Retail: $19.99
4. Keekaroo Height Right High Chair // The Keekaroo is a classic wooden highchair that grows with your child from 6 months up to 250 pounds! Use it has a highchair when younger, then pull it up to the table or a desk when they’re older. It has an ergonomic design so it’s comfortable and the study, solid base prevent tipping. It features a depth and height adjustable seat and footplate and includes a plastic tray cover that’s dishwasher safe. Retail: $229.95 (highchair + tray) or $279.95 (highchair + tray + infant insert)
5. Joovy Nook // The Nook features a swingable tray that opens with one hand, so you can easily get your child in and out. It’s is easy to clean – the fabric can be wiped down or you can remove the seat fabric for washing, plus the tray insert is dishwasher safe. It folds down easily and compactly, making it easy to store and even take along with you! Available in black or white leatherette and green or orange fabric. Retail: $129.99
6. Evenflo Compact Fold High Chair // This highchair has a durable, lightweight design that can be folded in seconds to just 8″ for carrying and storage. It has a 3-position adjustable tray to keep baby close and rear wheels to make it easy to move around. The tray insert is dishwasher safe plus it has an easy-to-clean wipeable seat pad. Retail: $49.99
7. Inglesina Gusto // This highchair is yet to have any reviews under five stars on Amazon, if that tells you something! Features a comfortable pad liner to keep your child cozy. The stain-resistent seat cover is removable and machine washable and the removable snack tray is dish washer safe too. This highchair has a 4-position adjustable height, 2-position adjustable footrest, and 3-position reclining backrest that grows with your child up to 3 years. It’s folds down compactly for easy storage too. Retail: $119.00
8. Stokke Tripp Trapp // The Tripp Trapp is a classic, beautiful wooden highchair that’s been around since 1972! It grows with your child from 6 months to adulthood (with baby set) and is designed to fit your dining room table, so baby can eat with the family. The adjustable design allows you to adjust both the depth and heigh of the seat and the footplates to ensure both back and feet support. Comes in a variety of classic and trendy colors. Retail: $249.99 (highchair) + $69.99 (baby set)
9. OXO Tot Sprout // The Sprout is an extended use chair that grows with your child from 6 months to 5 years – the seat and footrest are both height adjustable and the tray is depth-adjustable (no tools needed). As your baby grows the middle post, tray, and harness can be removed so you can pull them right up to the family table. The chair is easy to wipe down and cushions are removable for more thorough cleaning. Features padded cushions for comfort. Retail: $249.99
10. Boon Flair // The Flair features a one-piece seat with no cracks and no crevices, so clean-up is a breeze. It has a removable waterproof pad and a dishwasher-safe tray cover. It glides easily in all directions and easily fits under the table thanks to its pedestal base. Plus is has continuous height positioning with pneumatic lift, which just means you can pick the exact height you want. Comes in a variety of fun colors too. Retail: $279.99
11. BabyBjorn Highchair // The BabyBjorn is a small, ergonomic highchair with a curved backrest that helps your toddler sit upright. The tray folds down to give you room to put your child in and take them out and once back in place will keep them sitting safely during mealtime. Because of the smooth surface, it’s super easy to clean. The tray can also be detached for additional cleaning and is dishwasher safe. It folds down to just 10″ wide for easy transport and storage. Retail: $299.99
12. Peg Perego Siesta // The Siesta is a multi-functional, compact highchair that can be used from birth as a recliner and then as a high chair once your baby is older! It has five recline positions (from nearly flat to upright), nine height positions, and three footrest positions that grow with your child. It can be easily moved from room to room due to the caster wheels and when needed it folds away quickly. Plus the fabric is super cozy for your child too! Retail: $299.99
Another affordable and space-saving option is to go with a high chair that straps to a chair, like the Graco SimpleSwitch or the Fisher-Price SpaceSaver, both of which are very affordable and have great reviews! I’m currently working on another post about strap-on seats and booster seats so stay tuned!
(You can see my favorite modern bassinets here.)